Journalism is the activity of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information. On other words, the activity or profession of writing for newspapers or magazines or of broadcasting news on radio or television. Journalism can be distinguished from other activities and products by certain identifiable characteristics and practices. These elements not only separate journalism from other forms of communication, they are what make it indispensable to democratic societies. History reveals that the more democratic a society, the more news and information it tends to have.
The function news plays in the lives of people. News is a part of communication that keeps us informed of the changing events, issues, and characters in the world outside. Though it may be interesting or even entertaining, the foremost value of news is as a utility to empower the informed. The purpose of journalism is thus to provide citizens with the information they need to make the best possible decisions about their lives, their communities, their societies, and their governments.
There are essential principles and practices of Journalism.
- Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth. Journalists should be as transparent as possible about sources and methods so audiences can make their own assessment of the information.
- Must show an ultimate allegiance to citizens. Publishers must strive to put the public interest, and the truth, above their own self-interest or assumptions.
- Journalists rely on a professional discipline for verifying information.
- Journalistic independence, is not neutrality. While editorialists and commentators are not neutral, the source of their credibility is still their accuracy, intellectual fairness and ability to inform – not their devotion to a certain group or outcome.
- Being an independent monitor of power, which means “watching over the powerful few in society on behalf of the many to guard against tyranny
- It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise
- Journalism is storytelling with a purpose. It should do more than gather an audience or catalogue the important. It must balance what readers know they want with what they cannot anticipate but need.
- It must keep the news comprehensive and proportional
- Its practitioners must be allowed to exercise their personal conscience. Doing journalism, whether as a professional writing for a news organization or as an online contributor in the public space, involves one’s moral compass and demands a personal sense of ethics and responsibility.
- Citizens, too, have rights and responsibilities when it comes to the news.
It is a great privilege to inform you that, we are proudly organizing International Conference on Journalism which will be held on 06 & 07th October 2016 @ Galle Face Hotel Colombo - Sri Lanka It provides valuable opportunity for journalists, academics, researchers, professionals, administrators, educational leaders, policy makers, industry representatives, advanced students, and other persons who are interested in journalism in worldwide to present their ideas, suggestions, research findings, experiences, innovations. Gathering of pool of human resources can easily identify changes happening in this field, trends, favorable & unfavorable factors affecting to the subject area, industry development factors, and global changes in the field. Participants will be able to sharpen up their knowledge, step forward their position in industry, buildup effective connection between industry leaders and go ahead in their career path.
In addition, all the submitted full papers will be included in the conference proceedings CD and proceeding book. Selected best papers are published on “International Journal of Social Science and Humanities (Online: ISSN 2424-6492) (Print: ISSN 2424-6484)” as well as we hope to Published all the research papers on SINHALA Medium and Presentations are translated.
Why do you participate?
- To present your research findings, ideas, innovations to others & it will help you to improve your image among industry leaders.
- To know about the industry trends, industry current situation & changes happening in the industry & through that participant will be able to confront the problems in better way.
- To maintain sound business connection with industry people this will lead to maintain good image.
- To enhance knowledge level through the ideas, findings, experience of others & participant will be able to upgrade their position in industry.
- To contribute to the knowledge level of Journalism and related areas.
- Free publications for selected research paper may be added value for your image & your reputation.